The South Indian Sugarcane & Sugar Technologists’ Association (SISSTA) was founded in July1967 and registered with The Registrar of Societies in 1968. SISSTA has its Administrative and Registered Office at Flat No. A-2, 1st Floor, Saraswathi Apartment, 49, Third Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai – 600 020.
Its area of operation extends over the states of Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Orissa, Pondicherry and Kerala. Its activities have been stepped up in course of time and today it has 3400+ Life Members and 106 Corporate Members all over the country
Shri E. Muthuvelappan is the President and Shri K.G. Jayakumar is the Hony. Secretary of the Association.
SISSTA is affiliated with the Sugar Technologists’ Association of India (STAI), New Delhi.
The main functions of the association are:
➢ To undertake, carry on and help research and other scientific studies in connection with the Sugar Industry including cane cultivation, factory technology and allied disciplines such as paper, distillery, power etc.
➢ Connecting Industry, Institution, Sugar Associations and Sugar Cane & Sugar Technologists.
SISSTA’s contribution to the spread of knowledge in the factory operations has made the South Indian Sugar Industry most-modern and highly efficient contributing in a large measure to the increase in overall efficiencies which in turn helped the factories to achieve comfortable balance sheets year after year.
The important activities are:
1. To hold Annual Convention, Seminars and Workshops in different parts of South India.
2. Publishing SISSTA Annual Convention and Seminar Proceedings.
3. To conduct research and development work and review the problems of Sugar Industry.
4. To send its representation to different committee / panels, etc. constituted by Government of India if required.
5. To encourage the Technologists by presenting best paper awards of original contribution in all its spheres of activities.
6. “S.V.Parthasarathy Memorial Lectures” have been instituted for best cane management in the Sugar Mills.
7. During every Convention, Awards are presented to various sugar factories for the best performance in Cane Development, Technical Efficiency of Sugar mill, Distillery and Co-generation.